Sunday, October 7, 2012

Under Pressure
By: Zoe Gan

Athletes with any kind of performance anxiety (so, all athletes!) may find a recent study pretty interesting: Athletes who clench their left fist before performing are less likely to choke under pressure.

Here's how it works: Because your left fist is controlled by your right brain, clenching it activates the right brain and results in a decreased activation of your left brain. Activation of certain areas in the left brain is associated with psyching ourselves out under pressure. This study was done with soccer players, judo players, and badminton players.

I'm thinking those sports are pretty different from, say, swimming, but it seems that the trick applies to any task that combines "precision, pressure, and highly automated tasks." The article cites surgeons and musicians as people who could potentially benefit from this finding.

I know the left brain is typically associated with logical thinking, while the right brain is associated more with artistry and creativity. It makes sense, since thinking too much about doing something tends to make you mess up.

If that's the case, then I might just try this before my next exam. I get tests back all the time where I'm pretty sure I overthought something or just choked. Does regurgitating information count as an "automated task"? Sure. Pressure? That's what you make it. And I wonder if the brain areas controlling "precision" are the same that involve how accurately you answer test questions... well, I guess we know precision and accuracy aren't the same, but I'd just like to think that this would help me!

Give it a try sometime.
  
Sources referenced:


No comments:

Post a Comment